Student Visa

People who wish to study at a school in the United States may seek a visa for the time required to complete their studies. F-1 visas are issued for full-time academic or language students. Non-academic or vocational students are issued M-1 visas. In some cases, visas may be extended to include a period of practical training in the student’s field of study.

If you wish to qualify for a student visa, you must

  • Be enrolling full-time in a US-accredited program leading to an educational or vocational degree.
  • Demonstrate that your proficiency in the English language is at such a level that you can succeed in English-only classes.
  • Show that you have enough money to study full-time without working.
  • Intend to return home after you complete your course of study.
Accompanying relatives of F-1 and M-1 visa holders are eligible for visas. They may stay in the United States, but they are not permitted to work.