Tourist Visa

Tourist visas
B-1 business and B-2 travel visas

Short visits to the United States for business or leisure

Temporary travel for business or leisure in the United States may be granted with a B-1 visa for business travel or a B-2 visa for leisure travel. An unlimited number of these visas are issued each year, and approval for these visas can often be obtained in just one day.

The duration of B-1 business visas is limited to six months. Business travelers must be in the United States to buy goods, make investments, attend seminars or work for a non-U.S. employer.

The duration of B-2 travel visas is determined on a case-by-case basis. B-2 visas are granted only to travelers who do not plan to conduct business in the United States.

If you wish to qualify for a business or travel visa, you must:

  • Prove that you have a home outside the United States.
  • Intend to return home after your visit.
  • Apply in person at a U.S. Consulate or BCIS office.
Extensions for both the B-1 and B-2 visas may be applied for and are issued for a maximum of six months at a time.